skip to main content

Working Papers

Please see below for information related to working papers for JHS and HS-level students.



How to Obtain Working Papers when Schools are Closed

New working paper applications and information are posted to the Gelinas, Murphy, and Ward Melville websites. Please follow these steps:

  1. You will need to download the appropriate forms and complete the required information in Part I (and Part IV, if applicable). Please do NOT sign the form. You and your parent/guardian, will need to sign the form in front of a school official. The potential forms are:
    1. Application for Employment Certificate AT-17
    2. Physical Fitness Certificate AT-16
    3. Child Performer School Form
  2. If you are seeking a Child Performer and Model Permit, please note that schools do NOT have the authority to issue permits for this purpose. Schools can only complete the Child Performer School Form, but can NOT issue the permit. Please contact:
    NYSDOL, Division of Labor Standards (Child Performer)
    Tel.: (518) 457-1942, Fax: (518) 457-2731
    Labor Standards Permit and Certificate Unit
    State Campus, Bldg 12, Room 266A
    Albany, NY 12240
  3. Your physician must complete, sign, and stamp the Physical Fitness Certificate. The physical exam must be within the past 12 months. If you do not have a completed Physical Fitness Certificate we, we will look for evidence of a satisfactory physical in our records. If we do not have proof of a satisfactory physical examination dated within past 12 months we can NOT issue you your working paper.
  4. Once you are sure that you have completed Part I (and Part IV, if applicable) and obtained a signed Physical Fitness Certificate, you must email to request an appointment to review your material.
    1. In the body of your email please include your full name, current grade level, the school you currently attend, and a daytime phone number that you can be reach at (it could be your parent’s number).
    2. Include as an attachment a copy of your working paper application and related material, driver’s license, certified birth certificate, or passport. If you are unable to scan a copy, you can use your phone, but please make sure the copies are CLEAR and LEGIBLE.
    3. Once we have received and preliminarily reviewed your material, you will be contacted to make an appointment to come to the North Country Administration
      Building at 100 Suffolk Avenue, Stony Brook, NY.
  5. Please arrive at the North Country Administration Building at the scheduled appointment time. You must have with you the original application, completed physical exam documentation, your original driver’s license, certified birth certificate, or passport. You and your parent/guardian must be present.
  6. At the Main Entrance of the North Country Administration Building, you will buzz the security guard and state why you are here. You will be directed to hand over your documentation and you will be requested to wait. You will sign the appropriate document in front of the school official. Your application will be processed while you wait in the vestibule entrance. If your application is approved, you will receive your signed working paper or, if applicable, the Child Performer School form, and your driver’s license, birth certificate, or passport will be returned to you. You will also receive your Employment Certificate.
  7. If we have any questions about your paper work, we will reach out to you.
  8. Questions? Email